First up: you need these things for this recipe – so go to your fridge/pantry and grab:
1 large roll goat’s cheese (113 g)
2 large handfuls pecans
1 cup thinly sliced green onions – green parts
3 tbsp apricot jam
Pop Daddy brand Peppercorn ranch pretzel stix
- Using a ziplock bag and a mallet, crush the pecans into small chunks.
- Using your hands, roll goat’s cheese into toonie size balls.
- Roll the goat cheese balls into a shallow dish of the pecan and green onion until the entire ball is coated.
- Stick a pretzel stick into the centre of each ball.
- In a shallow dish, combine jam and honey until well mixed.
- Place the balls on a layer of the jam honey mixture and serve!
NOTE: One large goat cheese log (113 g) makes approximately 16 servings/cheese balls.
If you do not have a mallet – use an empty wine bottle to break up the pecans. This is also a great excuse to drink a bottle of wine!
Keep the pecans in a ziplock back when pounding. This prevents the pieces from ending up all over your floor.
If you can’t find peppercorn ranch flavoured pretzel stix, don’t panic…plain works too. I used “Pop Daddy” brand which was found in a gas station. Seriously.
These work really well for a large cocktail party as they do not require plates – just grab and go!
Don’t make too few of them. They go fast.
Haley Regan is a Hamilton, Ontario based, fifteen-year veteran of the hospitality and wine industry who has worked every position from hostess to owner & operator. What started as a means of survival in university has blossomed into what borders on an obsession with food. A self-described dinner party Jedi, Haley shines a much needed light on affordability, local product, and being able to plate a dish like a Michelin star chef with everyday household items. Her approach is no-nonsense and her recipes can be proudly served at your next soiree and easily executed from a bachelor apartment kitchen. She also enjoys wine. A lot.
Follow Haley today @o_4forksake