First up: you need these things for this recipe – so go to your fridge/pantry and grab:
fresh ginger root, fresh garlic, Sambal Olek (or in alternate, Gochujong or rooster chili garlic sauce), a lime, sesame oil, Kinghaven Farms Premium Raw Honey, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice paper, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, cucumber, mint, ramen noodles, green onion, and one large carrot
Let’s make the sauce first:
In a mixing bowl combine:
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp Sambal Olek
Juice of half a fresh lime
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp Kinghaven Farms Premium Raw Honey
¼ cup soy sauce
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
Now let's make our rolls by prepping our work station first. I make small piles on a cutting board of:
Julienned (long thin strips) of the red and yellow peppers as well as the green onion.
Use a vegetable peeler to get very thin strips of carrot and cucumber.
Tear your mint leaves from their twigs.
Boiled and cooled ramen noodles.
Using a large shallow dish of hot water, submerge a sheet of rice paper for 10-15 seconds.
Place on separate wooden cutting board.
In middle, place small handful of noodles, and 2-4 strips of all the above ingredients. wrap tightly and set aside.
Once you have made as many rolls as desired, place uncovered in fridge to set.
Serve alongside dip anytime that day or next.
- This sauce is amazing with fresh Thai rolls, fried spring rolls, char siu, or drizzled on ramen.
- You can make the sauce a day or two ahead it will develop more flavour the longer it sits.
- Cut and line up all of your roll ingredients so it is fast work once you start rolling.
- I like to cut the rolls in half and layer them on top of each other - this makes a great appetizer presentation at cocktail parties as well.
- Do not skip the fresh mint. It absolutely makes the rolls!
- Don’t be afraid to add other ingredients - red cabbage, chicken, shrimp, basil leaves, and bean sprouts are all delicious in these rolls as well.
- Don’t be intimidated by the rolling process - you will get the hang of it after one or two ugly ones I promise!
Stay tuned for more hot weather favourites coming soon. Enjoy!
Haley Regan is a Hamilton, Ontario based, fifteen-year veteran of the hospitality and wine industry who has worked every position from hostess to owner & operator. What started as a means of survival in university has blossomed into what borders on an obsession with food. A self-described dinner party Jedi, Haley shines a much needed light on affordability, local product, and being able to plate a dish like a Michelin star chef with everyday household items. Her approach is no-nonsense and her recipes can be proudly served at your next soiree and easily executed from a bachelor apartment kitchen. She also enjoys wine. A lot.
Follow Haley today @o_4forksake